A pair of English mahogany open armchairs of George II style. Early 20th century,each with a cartouche-shaped padded back and seats covered in buttoned close-nailed brown leather. The back and seat edged with ribbon and rosette. The scroll arms with raised roundel terminals and acanthus-carved supports. On scroll X-frame front supports centred by a ribbon-tied foliate spray and joined to scrolled back legs by a pierced H shaped stretcher
Shipping P.O.A. Subject to quotation and will be charged separately. Please contact us for more details. If purchasing online, the shipping price will be shown as zero here but you will be liable for all shipping costs.
ProvenanceLangley Park, Norfolk. These chairs were designed to be ensuite with a pair of George II mahogany open armchairs supplied to Sir William Beauchamp-Proctor,1st Bt ( b 1722 )after he inherited the newly built Langley Park in 1744-45.The chairs were designed in a manner evolved from the 17th century back stool of sgabello form with X trestle supports, such as those supplied for the banqueting hall at Ham House Surrey
LiteratureSee P Thorton, Ham House Furniture History 1980 fig 152.